It’s a fact that everyone wants clear and beautiful skin. However, pesky acne can ruin loads of meetings, interviews, and other gatherings for us.
These unwanted blemishes often leave our dreams of clear skin lying in the dust. More often than not, we tend to cover up those nasty pimples, but that results in an even bigger flare-up.
Fortunately, there’s a solution. We should always aim for prevention, and toners can help us nip our acne problems in the bud. Therefore, we should make face washing a habit in order to curb the flare-ups.
Let’s dive into the inner workings of acne, why it breaks out, and how to look for the best acne toner.
What Is Acne?
We definitely have acne if we have some red spots or bumps on our skin. Even more so if they seem to intentionally appear when we least expect them (or want them to).
Unfortunately, acne goes deeper than that, so let us ditch the layman’s term and look to medicine for a moment. Essentially, acne is an umbrella term for any inflammatory skin problem that results in blackheads, pimples, cysts, and the like. Aside from appearing on our face, acne tends to invade other parts of your body, such as arms, neck, shoulders, and the back.
Why Does It Appear?
Generally speaking, oily and bacteria-ridden skin is the major cause of acne. However, the true cause hinges on several factors, such as our skin type or age.
Even though our hair follicles generally produce oil with the best intentions, they can sometimes overdo it due to a variety of factors. This oily excess, combined with bacteria and dead skin cells is what causes acne.
However, habitually using an acne toner will help us strike back.
How Exactly Does an Acne Toner Work?
Essentially, using a toner should be a part of the face-cleaning routine. Washing our skin is not enough, as a lot of stuff doesn’t come off that easy. This includes dead skin cells, excess oil, impurities, or makeup. Even our cleanser can leave some residue behind. So the toner is there to help us get rid of all that. With the help of a cotton pad, it should leave our skin clean.
How Does Acne Toner Benefit the Skin?
Let’s first get one thing out of the way — using a toner is not at all restricted to our face. However, that does not mean we should bathe in it, but we can treat other spots with it as well. So feel free to use it on your back, chest, shoulders, and neck.
Wherever we choose to apply it, the toner will not only cleanse but also shrink our pores. As a result, there will be less space for any oil and dirt that causes acne to appear in the first place.
Finally, by using a toner, we will also restore the natural pH balance of your skin. Our skin’s first line of defense against bacteria and germs is the so-called acid mantle. Aside from protection, the acid mantle also moisturizes our skin. If we want it to perform the best it can, we need to maintain the pH balance of our skin.
Which Is the Best Acne Toner?
If our skin is oily or prone to acne, we might want to try a toner that contains salicylic acid. That’s because the acid easily dissolves in oil, and it can help us get rid of excess sebum. Additionally, we should try mandelic acid as well, as this almond derivative is bad news for microbes.
On the other hand, if we have combination skin, we should look for a toner with glycolic acid. Not only does it work well with oily areas, but also with dry ones like our cheeks. More often than not, toners use a mix of low-concentrated acids like these. In turn, that increases their effectiveness while reducing potential skin irritation.
Our Choice of 5 Best Acne Toner Products
The Best Acne Toner Overall — Exposed Clearing Tonic
This powerful toner goes deep into the pores to remove all the grease and dirt from the skin. As a result, it will strike a balance to problem skin and leave it clean, soft, and refreshed.
Why we like it:
- Its active ingredient is salicylic acid, which will prompt shedding of dead skin cells and rid your skin of acne.
- It contains benzyl-peroxide, which is antibacterial in nature and prevents any further breakouts.
- It also contains ingredients that curb inflammation and redness, which are excellent for taking care of acne, fine lines, and blackheads.
- The tonic is completely paraben-free.
- It contains a mixture of extracts of passion flower, green tea, sage, and aloe leaf for added care.
We recommend Exposed Clearing Tonic to those who want to look no further than the best.
Exposed Clearing Tonic combines the powerful action of salicylic acid with the antimicrobial effect of benzyl-peroxide. The result of this combination is clear, bacteria-free skin. Moreover, this toner will solve any irritations while relying on carefully picked herb extracts for maximum refreshment and softness. Ultimately, this tonic is a must-have for anyone who’s had enough of acne.
The Best Acne Toner for Oily Skin — Super C22 Toner
Powered by citrus fruits, using this refreshing toner results in energized skin. As the name suggests, the toner contains 22% Vitamin C.
Why we like it:
- Aside from citrus fruits, it also contains MSM and hazel that are excellent for doing away with dead skin, dirt, and bacteria.
- Its high percentage of Vitamin C helps against wrinkles, discoloration, spots, or any other signs of aging.
- It is great for maintaining the skin’s natural pH balance, which decreases its potential for acne development.
We recommend Super C22 Toner to those with extremely oily skin.
Super C22 Toner is also armed with natural antioxidants, such as green tea, rosemary seed extract, Vitamin E, and grapefruit seed. Finally, the toner contains no alcohol, leaving no place for irritations.
The Best Natural Acne Toner — Christina Moss Naturals Toner
CMN’s sixteen years of experience bring us this organic, high-quality toner. It’s excellent for getting rid of excess sebum, as well as maintaining the skin’s pH balance.
Why we like it:
- The toner does away with extra oil, while also cleaning and nourishing the skin.
- Its ingredients prevent inflammation and are completely natural.
- Speaking of nourishment, the toner also contains green tea and Aloe Vera extracts.
We recommend this toner to people with all skin types, but due to its all-natural properties, it works well with oily skin as well.
The Best Acne Toner for Inflamed Skin — La Roche-Posay Effaclar
This toner specifically aims at unclogging pores and evening out the skin. Its clearing effect will remove the sebum and the dirt built up on the surface.
Why we like it:
- The toner contains both salicylic and glycolic acids, the combination of which effectively cleans the pores and reduces further acne breakouts.
- It does not contain perfume or paraben, which makes it good for sensitive skins.
- The toner also maintains skin elasticity.
We recommend this toner to people with oily skin that is prone to inflammation.
The Best Acne Toner for Combination Skin — YEOUTH Facial Toner
Our last candidate has the ingredients necessary for clean and young skin. Moreover, its ingredients are all-natural.
Why we like it:
- Its active ingredients are allantoin and butylene glycol, the combination of which hydrates and soothes the skin.
- It gets rid of microbes with the help of aluminum salt and chamomile flower extract.
- This toner makes sure the skin is allergy-free.
We recommend this toner to people with combination skin, as it is pretty neutral and made from completely natural ingredients.
Maybe an acne toner is not everyone’s cup of tea, but it is essential in fighting all variations of acne. That makes it a great addition to the face-washing arsenal.
An acne toner does its work from the ground up, ensuring a clean and healthy foundation for acne-free skin. It’s not hard to make a habit if one has a lot to gain from making it. And there are a lot of benefits that come with the best acne toner by Exposed Skincare.